Prior to completing this discussion, take a look at the website, America’s Health Rankings and the Commonwealth Funds state wide database, Overall Ranking, 2018. Also, look at the Healthy People 2020 web page.
In the past weeks, you have examined and explored the challenges and issues facing delivery of public health services in a given community and across the nation. The goal of public health is to prevent disease and promote health. To that end, take a moment to review your own community’s health needs through a purview of current events, your own community, town, or setting, by informally interviewing public health professionals, or reviewing the following national databases:
- America’s Health Rankings
- Overall Ranking, 2018
For this discussion, please complete the following:
- Describe a significant health issue in your community or state.
- Compare its significance to the national priorities of Healthy People 2020 goals (is it a national priority or just one found in your state or community).
- Explain what type of effort it will take to fully address the issue (e.g., leadership skills, financing, organizational buy-in, stakeholders, perceptions, barriers, etc.)
- Evaluate the efforts you can take to address this issue. As a public health practitioner, consider what your role might be, such as:
- Will you develop, lead or be part of a public health program to address the issue?
- Will you work on financing, organizational buy-in, or stakeholders?
- What are you going to do to address this concern?