- Having standard ratios for RN-to Patient safe staffing levels helps to protect the facility from adverse events that occur when staff is rushed and does not have the time to actively be in the moment with a patient, protects the RN by allowing them time to review the chart and plan of care while learning the patient’s response to care leading to critical thinking to the next step in care, and finally protects the Patient by allowing the staff to have adequate time to care for them as a person and not a number.
· Answer the following questions in your editorial summary:
- Do you think that legislatively mandated nurse-to-patient ratios are an effective way to manage the nursing workload?
- Yes in the fact that there is a minimum nursing assignment for safe staffing shows that the education and skills developed by the nurse are valued and
- Would you consider the response to mandated ratios in California to be positive, or are there additional issues that have arisen since the legislation was enacted?
- Yes the response has been positive. The increase in job satisfaction, increase in nursing graduates and overall safety ratings for patients is an indication that this is a positive move.