1. Read p. 1348, volume A, for background information on Phillis Wheatley.
2. Read “On Being Brought from Africa to America,” p. 1357, volume A,;”To His Excellency General Washington,” p. 1361, volume A, and “Letter to Samson Occom,” p. 1156, volume A.
3. (Read journal question in #4 below before you start this reading.) Following the format outlined for week one, write a one-paragraph response to this question: What conflict exists between Wheatley’s attitude in her two poems and her attitude in her letter to Samson Occom? Identify a passage from one of her poems and a passage from her letter which illustrate this conflict.
1. Read p.480, volume A, for background information on Mary Rowlandson.
2. Read excerpts from “A Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson,” pp. 482-514, volume A.
3. Write a one-paragraph journal which answers the following question: Is Rowlandson’s attitude toward the Indians justified. Cite facts from the narrative to prove your point. .
(Follow same directions as for last week’s discussion question.) Is Wheatley denying her African heritage in her writing? Support your conclusions about this question with evidence from Wheatley’s writing.