Brave New World Discussion Questions: Chapters 7-9
2. What is the significance of the steady beat of the drums used in the Indians’ ritual—why do you think drums are found in so many cultures? What similarities are there between some aspects of the Indians’ way of life and the way people in the “brave new world” live? What does this say about human nature?
3. What effect does seeing Lenina have on John, and why? Why is the expression on her face such an “amazing novelty”?
4. Why didn’t Linda escape from the Reservation? What conflicting feelings does Linda have about John, and what shows this? What “little animals” do you think Linda found in John’s hair, and why did they make her scream?
5. Describe the childhood experiences that influenced John’s personality. Why does he call his mother “Linda”? Why does he have such a peculiar way of speaking? In what important way are John and Bernard similar?
6. Why do you think Bernard is so eager to take John and Linda to London—what plan does he have? What is ironic about John’s proclamation that he is going to a “brave new world”? What foreshadowing is there in Bernard’s response to this proclamation?